A blog dedicated to one of the loves of my life - gardening. Living in a bungalow in Derby, UK where I spend my time looking after my disabled husband, I also spend time learning what I can about gardening and applying it in our small garden. I hope that you will enjoy the photography and visit again and again and again. The other loves in my life are husband, my two sons, my four grandchildren and music.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Roses

Having just started my blog, I would like to thank those people for visiting and secondly thank you for your advice I do appreciate your input.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our dear friends who have given me various plants from their own gardens (Lorraine & Gollum) to fill the gaps in my garden.

How many of you have squirrels in your garden? Last year I had a baby squirrel come into my garden; he and I became good friends, although there were times I could have done without him, as he would bury his food amongst the flowers, often breaking my plants in the process. His favourite place was getting into one of my hanging baskets - needless to say not much grew in that particular basket. Unfortunately, I have not seen him this year - rather sad as he did make me happy.
I recently bought a mini rose - which I am going to put into a tub rather than into one of the borders because of green-fly as mentioned previously. I do not know much about roses and I understand they can be hard work. Is it too late to be planting roses at this time of the year? Your comments would be appreciated please.

This is the 'mini rose' that I bought when I went 'walkabout' early this week - I will be repotting it tomorrow (hopefully) - that's if I can get the one armed bandit (Mandebvhu) to drill some holes in the new pot for me!!

I would also like to know when roses are to be pruned, as I have three bushes from last year but just left them.
Due to the change in the weather, there are a lot of plants dying off - I thought they would keep blooming at least until the end of September and have no idea what to put in their place - come on all you gardeners out there - help...!

Please note that all photographs that I post, unless otherwise stated, have been taken by my husband (Mandebvhu - again!) and are from my own garden...

Protea

2 Comments:

Blogger Lorraine said...

Roses can be pruned mid Feb/March. Lots of info at http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0201/rose_pruning.asp I have 3 mini's in pots, and they are doing well. Feed them regularly and they should be OK. As for annuals dying off, have you been deadheading regularly ? They last much longer if you do. Next week I will replace a few of mine with pansies, which should go on for months and can survive winter.

8:10 pm

 
Blogger ExAfrica said...

Very handy info - hope to start gardening next year. Hope....
You've got quite a lot of colour for this late in the season - you are obviously a very good gardner. Mine'd be brown by now!

And I love your pictures.

3:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home